Why spay or neuter?
Spaying your female pet, or neutering your male pet is beneficial for several reasons. Besides eliminating the risk of unwanted litters of puppies or kittens, it can also prevent life threatening diseases and your pet will be home with you by the end of the day.
- Unneutered males can develop certain cancers, including prostate and testicular cancers
- Unneutered males are more likely to roam and get into trouble, such as being hit by a car, poisoned, or fighting with other animals
- Unneutered males are much more likely to “spray” or “mark” areas, including furniture
- Unneutered males can be aggressive
- Unspayed females may develop breast cancer
- Unspayed females risk a potentially deadly uterine infection called pyometra
- Unspayed females risk pregnancy and birthing complications, often resulting in death or cesarean section (C-section surgery) which can cost thousands of dollars
- Unspayed females may be more aggressive
Contact Balsam Animal Hospital today at 828-452-1868